The scalp has sebaceous glands which produce oil. When this oil production decreases and is not enough to keep the scalp moisturized, it causes the condition of a dry scalp. This is a skin condition. The skin of the scalp becomes dry and flaky resulting in itchiness. It feels tight and uncomfortable.
The itchy feeling may cause embarrassment. This itching sensation is due to the flaky skin. These flakes are different from dandruff. Dandruff is due to over secretion of oil or sebum from the sebaceous glands whereas flaky skin is due to under secretion of the oil from these glands. When the skin is stripped off the natural oils it needs, the consequence is dry skin. In this state, the hair becomes dull and brittle. It breaks off easily and can result it hair loss.
The weather may be responsible for dry scalp. Winter season and dry air causes this condition. Lack of humidity in the air can result in dryness of scalp. If not treated, this can further lead to a more serious condition like eczema or psoriasis which would require extensive treatments.
There are various reasons for having a dry scalp. Overuse of shampoo is a primary cause. The chemicals in a shampoo strip off the natural oils present on the head. Other factors are gels, colors, sprays and chemicals used on the hair. Regular use of styling aids like hair dryers and curlers also causes dryness. This condition may be genetic or as a result of hormonal changes, dehydration, stress and deficiency. Certain medications can have the above condition as a side effect.
Home remedies can be used for getting back a healthy scalp. There are no negative side effects of home remedies for dry scalp. Some of them are listed below, try these and see the result.
1. Coconut Oil: Apply coconut oil regularly. Keep for some time before washing it off.
2. Jojoba Oil: Jojoba is beneficial and will provide some moisture.
3. Vinegar: Add little vinegar to water for rinsing hair.
4. Lemon: Lemon juice can be used to clean the scalp.
5. Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil aids in removal of flakes and scales.
6. Lavender: Lavender Oil reduces the irritation caused by the flakes and itching.
7. Neem Oil: Neem is very effective in skin conditions. It has anti fungal properties. Neem leaves can be crushed and boiled. Bathe with the water. Apply neem oil to the scalp.
8. Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera gel can be directly applied to the head. It provides moisture and gives a relief from itchiness.
9. Avocado: Avocado is a natural moisturizer. Rub avocado oil and keep for a while.
10. Olive Oil: Warm little olive oil and gently massage into scalp.
11. Massage: Massage with oil on a regular basis improves your blood circulation and gives relief form dry scalp.
Eat a well balanced diet rich with vitamins and minerals. Drink plenty of water every day to keep your skin hydrated. Use a mild shampoo to clean hair. Avoid all chemicals and color treatments. Increase immunity and eliminate the toxins from the body.